Friday, September 18, 2009

Lede of the Week!

More than 50 years ago, the psychologist Carl Rogers suggested that simply loving our children wasn’t enough. We have to love them unconditionally, he said — for who they are, not for what they do.

My favorite lede of the week was  from the article When a Parent’s ‘I Love You’ Means ‘Do as I Say’by Alfie Kohn.  This lede kind of touches my heart because all of my life I have struggled with trying to get my fathers approval. It always seemed like the only time he would ever give me any recognation was when I accomplished something. We never really had a conversation about anything to be honest. It was either disagreements, or total silence. I feel like I can relate to this lede because my father never agreed with any of the decisions that I have made. He didn't want me to come to SUNY Plattsburgh because he didn't think it was a good school. He didn't want me to join a dance team because it wasn't a sport. He never liked any of my friends because he thought they all were bad influences. Everything has always seemed like a hassle when it came to my father and my relationship. My mother on the other hand has always been the most supportive person in the world. She has my back no matter what and is always there for me when I need her. My mother loves unconditionally and never has any doubts in me. I could be a garbage (wo)man and she would tell me that I was doing a great job cleaning our city. This lede is a true statement. Children need there parents support no matter what they choose to do with their lives. Parents really need to be there for their children, and let them know that no matter what they are going to be on there side, forever!

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/15/health/15mind.html?_r=1&ref=science

No comments:

Post a Comment