Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Centipede!


This past weekend I went home to visit my sister for her 30th birthday. As I dropped my bag down on my bed I noticed the ugliest looking bug I have ever seen. It had more legs than any living organism I've ever seen. After I screamed for about 30 seconds I decided I would get my mother to come and kill the beast since I was way to afraid. My mother came in with her rubber gloves and a tissue. Once she saw what I was making a fuss about she said in a silly voice, " OH Dayna! that's just a centipede, they're harmless!" If they are so harmless, then why do they have so many darn legs!
   The centipede, which belongs to the Chilopoda and the Subphylum Myriapoda family, has 100 feet and legs. They have one pair of legs per body segment, and are a brownish red color. The size of their body varies from a few small millimeters, to almost 30 cm! They have round heads, and antenna's. Centipede's are only capable of telling between light and dark, they don't have clear vision. The centipede feeds off of other insects, and use their antannea to find their prey. They are common in a lot of different environments all over the world. They like to hang out under stones, and inside logs. What I didn't know is that some centipedes actually bite people, and can be very harmful to young children because children can be allergic to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment